September Meeting Minutes

Terra Linda PTA Meeting Minutes

September 7, 2018

Terra Linda Conference Room

In attendance: Karen Gorringe, Amy Arnold, April Ellis, Jessica Edwards, Robyn Gardner, Alyce Stemmons, Robin Peterson, Syrina Starr, Jen McIlece, Stacie Larson

  1. Welcome at 12:00pm by April Ellis
  2. Old business: Back to school night was a success. PTA membership numbers are up. Kindergarten kick off went well and Karen heard many positive comments about it.
  3. Open Positions: President-elect, Public Relations, Legislative Liaison. Syrina has someone who might be interested in legislative liaison, she’ll ask.
  4. Principal’s message: 7 Elite Academy (formerly Forza soccer) is our secondary evacuation site. On October 12 at 9:15 we’ll be having a practice evacuation. Stride classes will leave first. All students will walk to the Academy. Any parents who can are asked to come help along the route to keep students out of the street. There will also be a police officer to help as well. PTA doesn’t need to find volunteers, just come if you can. Also, PTA needs to give the school the grant for field trips. Alyce took care of this at the end of the meeting.
  5. President’s message: State PTA sponsors an essay contest in conjunction with the Veteran’s Day concert. April will get this information to Karen.
  6. Treasurer Report: Current balance is: 9244.
  7. Commission Reports
    1. Reflections: Due on October 12, but we’ll still accept entries until fall break. Amy will try to get a table with information set out at Fall Festival. April recommended watching Utah student’s film entry by Porter Christensen, he won a national reflections award with it. Mrs. Gardner will continue to promote reflections in art class. April passed on the reminder about avoiding copyright issues, no superheroes.
    2. Room Mother’s Meeting: Robyn has it set up and flyers sent home. There was discussion about moving Halloween celebrations to the short day the week before. Ultimately it was decided that Halloween celebrations will remain on Halloween, but the parade and all parties need to be done by 11 and the rest of the day will proceed as usual. Same with Valentine’s parties. Robyn also said that she’ll be out of town for November SEP conferences and needs help with the teacher meals. She’ll order them beforehand, just needs someone to pick them up and set them out. Karen wondered if Ms. Curtis and Mrs. Gardner could help with that. April also said she could help.
    3. Fall Festival: September 20 from 6-8. Multiple activities will be taking place, Usborne will be setting up in the gym by the stage, we’ll also be selling shirts.
    4. Hearing and vision screenings coming up: October 2 and 9. Shelly will be getting volunteers but anyone who can help with either of those, please let her know.
    5. Box tops: The contest will be by class until December, but Syrina will be sending what she has by the November 1 deadline. From December till March the contest will be by student (siblings will count as one), and by grade until the end of school. Syrina could use one person to help with the online side of box tops.
  8. Calendar items: Next meeting on October 5 at noon, dismissed at 1:30.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s